Who is Natural Cycles most suitable for?
Natural Cycles may be suitable for women who are looking for a natural method of contraception and have a lifestyle that enables them to take their temperature first thing most mornings.
- Women using Natural Cycles should be at least 18 years old (users of Natural Cycles are 30 years old on average)
- To use Natural Cycles, women must be willing to use protection or abstain from sex on red days
- Natural Cycles may be suitable for women who are interested in learning about their cycle and have a desire to be more in tune with their body
- Natural Cycles is also a suitable option for women who are considering a pregnancy
Evidence shows that a woman who, following consultation with her HCP, has actively chosen a method of contraception and is satisfied with it, is more likely to use it consistently and correctly. On the other hand, women using a method which is not in line with their personal preferences may be less likely to adhere to, or continue with that method, which could increase the risk of an unplanned pregnancy.¹This is why contraceptive choice is so important.
Who is Natural Cycles less suitable for?
- Natural Cycles is less suitable for women with irregular menstrual cycles (i.e. cycles with length less than 21 days or greater than 35 days), since predicting her fertile days is more difficult and as such, the number of red days will be higher.
- Natural Cycles is less suitable for women who have a medical condition where pregnancy would be associated with a significant risk to the mother or the fetus.
¹ Madden T., et al. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015;213(1):46.e1–46.e6
Three types of patients Natural Cycles may be suitable for
Emma, 30 years old
Emma is searching for a non-hormonal and non-invasive form of contraception
- Emma has a university degree and works at an art agency
- She lives with her partner of 2 years; they have no children
- She is currently focused on her career with no imminent plans to start a family
- In the past, she has discontinued use of the Pill, the Depo-Provera injection, and the contraceptive patch because of experiencing loss of libido or weight gain
- Emma would like to try an alternative non-hormonal, non-invasive contraceptive with a low risk of side effects
- She also stresses the importance of proven contraceptive effectiveness for her peace of mind
Why may Natural Cycles be suitable for Emma?
Natural Cycles has no known side effects
- Natural Cycles is an effective, natural method of contraception that accurately and conveniently determines a woman’s daily fertility based on her basal body temperature. ¹
- The effectiveness of Natural Cycles has been evaluated in a prospective, observational study that involved more than 22,000 women. The study demonstrated that Natural Cycles has a typical-use Pearl Index of 7.
- Natural Cycles is the only app to be CE marked within Europe and cleared by the US FDA for use as a contraceptive.
Emma’s lifestyle is compatible with the Natural Cycles app requirements
- She is in a stable relationship and does not need a barrier contraceptive to reduce the risk of STIs
- She has a consistent routine that would support daily temperature measurements and data input
Jenny, 31 years old
Jenny would like a natural form of contraception that fits in with her healthy lifestyle.
- Jenny is a school teacher who enjoys running and yoga in her spare time
- She and her partner have been living together for the past 4 years and do not have children
- She hopes to start a family in the future when she feels mentally and physically prepared
- She is engaged in healthy living and is an active user of health apps
- Jenny is seeking a natural form of contraception that fits in with her healthy lifestyle
- She has experienced negative associations with hormonal contraceptives and would prefer not to use them
- She is motivated to better understand her body and menstrual cycle
Why may Natural Cycles be suitable for Jenny?
Natural Cycles is an effective, natural method of contraception that accurately and conveniently determines a woman’s daily fertility based on her basal body temperature.
- Natural Cycles does not alter a woman’s menstrual cycle: The data inputted by the user builds into a personalized fertility indicator that informs the user when she needs to use protection.
- Natural Cycles can be used as an informational tool: Jenny will be able to use the app to better understand her body through visualisations of her menstrual cycle, the statistics generated, and LH test results (if performed).
Jenny’s lifestyle is compatible with the Natural Cycles app requirements
- Reducing the risk of an STI is less of a concern given her stable relationship
- Daily temperature measurements are likely to be manageable within her consistent daily routine
Kate, 32 years
Kate and her husband are planning a pregnancy. Kate is looking for a tool that pinpoints the days on which she is most fertile in order to help her conceive more quickly.
- Kate is a partner in a local firm of building surveyors
- She has been married for the past 2 years and lives with her husband; they have no children
- She was taking an oral contraceptive but has recently stopped in order to become pregnant
- She is currently trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle (avoiding smoking and alcohol, and managing her stress levels)
- Kate wants to better understand her body and menstrual cycles
- She would like to identify the days when she is most fertile with the aim of maximising her chances of conceiving
Why may Natural Cycles be suitable for Kate?
- The app has a ‘Pregnancy Plan’ mode that will calculate Kate’s level of fertility each day and inform her when to time intercourse to maximise the chances of conceiving.
- Natural Cycles can detect and monitor pregnancy
- Natural Cycles will suggest taking a pregnancy test based on the data collected
- Once a pregnancy is confirmed, the app can provide an accurate due date and can monitor the development of a pregnancy
Kate’s lifestyle is compatible with the Natural Cycles app
- Kate has a consistent daily routine and strong motivation to use the app on a regular basis